Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hard to update, but lots of thoughts floating!!!

OK....where do we start? Let's go back a week and talk about our labor day fun! Who doesn't love the water? We didn't want the weekend to go by without hitting the lake so we went to the clearance isle at the local Big Lots and bought a 12 ft inflatable boat. I know what you are thinking....wow, they got a boat! Yes we did. No motor, just four sturdy plastic oars that allow us to row till our hearts are content. The kids and I were pumped! We blew up the clearance item (only $7.50) and carried it down to the "beach". As I stood at the water's edge thinking about the safety of my kids around all of the boats, I thought we shouldn't row too far out. When I eventually got myself up in the boat after pulling the kids out into the water, I also dumped in about a gallon of water. We seemed to be okay on the weight limit, but who knew the holiday weekend waves would be such a challenge to row against!!! Needless to say, the harder we worked, the more this seemed less like an enjoyable day at the lake, and more of a blur in the hot sun watching all of the real boats with motors and stuff pass us by....I decided it would be best to allow nature to take us where it led....so we proceeded to allow the waves push us into shore in the opposite direction of our belongings right into a group of drunk Hispanic men past the point of belligerence. The boys didn't even notice and began slinging mud they scooped out of the ground using the old oars as shovels! Cute. Real cute. I begin to whisper softly and row quickly away, away, away, from this unpleasant situation....We managed to escape unharmed, had a good old fashion mud fight, packed up our stuff, and came home. You can't say that we don't go out on the boat!!!

This last week, Mema came to visit. I got in real trouble today at church announcing all my laundry was done and the dinner was cooked every night-they thought I was a bad host. They don't know my Mema. If I had given her nothing to do, she would have been too bored an wanted to go back home. She did some much needed sewing and was a great after school caretaker as I worked 12-hour days!!! Friday nights Toby Keith concert was a blast because I knew I could go straight home and not have to worry about the kids! I really appreciated all of her hard work. Although I thought it was one of the worst weeks for her to visit, it turned out to be one of the best. She was so helpful, it helped her. She needs to be needed just like we all do and she talked the entire time-no one ever asked her to stop! The kids and I are great at tuning things out so we didn't mind a bit. I am privileged and honored that my grandmother who loves the Lord more than anyone I know kept me up telling me the sweetest stories of her walk with God. This week gave me moments in time I will never forget. I love my mema.

1 comment:

Charity said...

Your a hoot!! What a fun mom you are to your kids. Those are memories that I'm sure your boys won't ever forget.
Your Mema sounds so sweet! Isn't it so wonderful to have a godly example to model your own life after?